The application deadline for study starting in
Fall 2019 is January 15, 2019.
If there are any incomplete materials by the
application deadline (for example, GRE scores,
reference letters, transcripts), the missing
material must be received by
5:00 pm Pacific Time, February 28th, 2019.
If the application is not complete by that time,
it could be dropped from any consideration.
The Networked Systems Program grants a M.S. in Networked Systems and a Ph.D. in Networked Systems. Applicants must apply directly to the Networked Systems Program.
Please see the Networked Systems Overview webpage for details on the program.
Applicants to the Networked Systems Program are expected to hold a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Electrical Engineering. Those who have Bachelor’s degrees in another field may be required to take supplementary coursework to demonstrate sufficient background in the field. Applicants will be evaluated on the basis of their prior academic record and their potential for creative research and teaching, as demonstrated in submitted application materials. These materials include university transcripts, letters of recommendation, GRE test scores, and Statement of Purpose.
Networked Systems vs. CS vs EECS programs.
As alternatives to the Networked Systems M.S. and Ph.D. degrees, applicants can apply directly to programs offered in either the CS or EECS departments. In the CS department, graduate students can earn a M.S. and/or Ph.D. in Information and Computer Science with a Concentration in Computer Science.
In the EECS department, graduate students can earn a M.S. and/or Ph.D in Electrical and Computer Engineering with either a Concentration in Computer Engineering or a Concentration in Electrical Engineering (EE).
Please go to the webpages of each individual program for a detailed description and/or contact the NetSys director for additional information.
Instructions for applying to the Networked Systems Program:
(1) Go to the UCI Graduate Division webpage and follow the instructions under "Create Applicant Profile".
(2) On the online application, under "Personal Information", make sure to enter your correct email address. This will be our primary method of contacting you with additional information during the review process.
(3) Under "Degree Program" and "School/Department", select either "School of Information and Computer Science"
or "School of Engineering". (Networked Systems is an inter-disciplinary program and can be selected under either of the two schools).
If you will have a M.S. degree before entering the Program, and wish to pursue a Ph.D. in Networked Systems, then under "Major/Degree" select "Networked Systems Ph.D.". If you will not have a M.S. degree before entering the Program, and wish to pursue both a M.S. and Ph.D. in Networked Systems, then under "Major/Degree" select "Networked Systems Ph.D.". If you will not have a M.S. degree before entering the Program, and wish to pursue only a M.S. in Networked Systems, then under "Major/Degree" select "Networked Systems M.S.".
(4) Under "Year and Quarter", select Fall 2018. This is the only quarter for which we are currently accepting applications.
(5) Under "Specific Area of Interest", please give us a few keywords describing what area within Networked Systems you are most interested in.
(6) Complete the online application and pay the application fee. The Networked Systems Program will not receive your application until this step is completed.
(7) Ask ETS to send your GRE scores to UCI. Foreign students must also ask ETS to send TOEFL scores.
In addition, foreign students who wish to quality for Teaching Assistantships will need to receive a 26 or higher on the speaking portion of the TOEFL. Use Institution Code 4859 for the TOEFL and GRE.
(FYI, the requirements for English proficency, once admitted to UCI, can be found here. However, this is not relevant at application time.)
(8) You do not have to mail official transcripts to the EECS
Department. This has changed from previous years. Starting Fall 2019,
for application review purposes only, scan and upload copies of
transcripts for all institutions attended since high school. In the
online application, you will be prompted to upload your scanned
documents. Please upload both the front and back sides of the
transcript. Uploaded transcripts should be recent and include the
following: your name, dates of attendance, grades/marks received,
credits and grading legend. UCI reserves the right to require official
transcripts at any time during the admission process, and rescind any
offer of admission made if discrepancies between uploaded and official
transcript(s) are found. Official transcripts will be requested if and
when you are admitted and decide to attend UCI. Do not send official
transcripts until this time, unless you are requested to do so.
(9) Make sure that at least 3 letters of recommendation are sent to the same address or submitted online.
(10) After step 6 is complete, we will email you a login and password for our online graduate admissions system. This graduate admissions system will be used to request additional information from you, to let you know which documents we have received, and to provide you with our admission decision. The graduate admissions system is run by the School of Engineering, and the login and password will come from there. It typically takes several weeks after your supplementary documents are received before they have been entered into the system.